Saturday, February 23, 2013

God-Sized Dreaming

Dear Girls, 

I am reading a book about Dreams, but not just any dreams. This book is all about the God-Sized Dreams of our hearts. The book is, "You're Made for a God-Sized Dream" by Holley Gerth. I'd like to share with you all what I've learned so far, having read only 1 chapter!



What did you dream when you were little? I'll share with you some of my little kid dreams.



1. PRINCESS!










2. BAKER!









3. BALLERINA!









Those were my dreams, but somewhere along my journey the paper crowns came off, I stopped winding my ballerina music box, and the thought of being a professional creator of yummies became all too "silly." I thought about a career as a fairy too; however, that became a problem when I realized no matter how long and hard I prayed my Creator wasn't giving me wings.








In fact, He gave me two legs, two arms, and all the rest of me to do something quite different than fly around granting wishes. 

So, where did that leave me? About 12 years old, and I had a better idea! "I'll be an actress and a singer. That way I can be any of those things whenever I want to!" A storyteller. I loved stories, and Jesus did too. Perfect plan.

Time went on, I changed, I grew, and those dreams were called "stupid," "unrealistic," "childish." They didn't know it, but when people talked about careers I listened hard to hear what they said about mine. Few people told me to my face that it wouldn't work out. That I didn't have the talent. That I should choose a different path. But the few who did stuck in my head. Sometimes people just wanted to help me, to direct my God-Sized Dreams in a better direction. But sometimes people spoke out of turn, and I heard lies.

Suddenly innocent dreams of being an actress and a singer seemed impossible, and the very word, DREAM seemed about as silly as praying for fairy wings when I was 5.

Holley addresses this in her book:

The lies don't ever go away. Every step of your dream, they will chase you. It doesn't mean that you're not spiritual enough or you're on the wrong path. It just means that "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Eph. 6:12) You are in a battle-expect opposition.

Now, we have more than just spiritual opposition, some of us are also young. For some reason a number of people believe you need experience before you live boldly for the truth, and God tells us just what we need to know about that:

Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12




A longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

To act, to sing, to dance, to tell a story...to fulfill a longing, a God-Sized Dream, was a good thing. A God-given thing. But I didn't know it yet.

At 16, I began making big decisions that would "change my life forever," or so I thought. 

God doesn't depend on us to make all the right decisions, or go through all the right doors. He knows we are human, and we will mess up. But He has promised us:

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord; plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Dreams are from Him. Chasing those dreams draws us closer to our Heavenly Father, and you living your dream is just as important as claiming to be His child. A child of God gets all the benefits of having the Creator of the Universe as her Father, and one of those benefits is pursuing the longing He put in your heart.

I am living proof that God fulfills dreams, God-Sized Dreams, and I am excited to go through this book with you all! Holley goes on to discuss why dreams are worth it, overcoming lies and fears, and many other wonderful truths we will cover together! 

You can check out Holley's book and buy it here.

So, tell me! What is your God-Sized Dream? (leave your answer in the comment box below)

9 comments:

  1. Perfect timing Emy, dear. My dream...I think my dream is to use the passion God's giving me to create to help and minister to others. Whether that means donating proceeds to organizations such as World Vision or even traveling to 3rd world countries and working directly with women in need and helping them to make money selling their own hand-made items. God's still developing this dream in me I think hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, that is incredible. I love how you've taken your dream to create and integrated it in with serving. Obviously, your dream will grow and change and become more and more defined as God leads you to live different parts of it, but already you remind of the Proverbs 31 woman in your organization and careful consideration. You inspire me, friend. I hope we can meet IN PERSON to do this study with some of our local peeps! I m excited at the prospect...

      Delete
  2. My dream is to pass my GED,and then be able to work at a daycare that would be prefect for me. Also another dream I have is to get married, and to start singing again. I love to sing and maybe one day I can use that ability to touch children's lives. I don't know what Gos had in store for me, but I know his plan is perfect and I just have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shamarra, I'll say a prayer for that GED of yours. I know what you mean about a husband. I would give up everything and live the simplest life if only for that, though I don't believe that's what God has called either one of us to. He's given us dreams AND the desire for marriage. You will make a wonderful mother, I know it.

      You know, I'm terrible at waiting. You set an example for me the way you say "I know his plan is perfect and I just have to wait." It's that simple. This morning a thought came to mind, no matter what we are waiting for or how long we are waiting, we never have to wait for Him. That was so incredibly comforting to me this morning as I prayed and poured out my heart in time with God. Thank you for sharing your dream and encouraging me at the same time!

      Delete
  3. My dream is to be joyful, to be the girl God wants me to be and to live the life he has chosen for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have said it better....Way to sum it up, bro.

      Delete
  4. To be honest i have SO MANY hopes and dreams! i've ALWAYS wanted to be a professional surfer or a model. But also, i've always wanted to go to Wheaton University or Stanford then to Harvard Law. At this point in life i'm just oing to let God take my hands and lead the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emy! Thank you for guiding me to this specific post. Like you, and like many other people in the world, I have been told that my dreams won't ever come true. My dream is to learn, to seek truth and to seek justice. My education is not a means to an end, but a means to glorify God. I want to seek justice by defending the orphan, the widow, and the oppressed.I'd love to attend Grove City College majoring in History and Religion, and then possibly go on to Law School, or become a teacher. I want to use the truth and knowledge I know to inspire and help others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity, you already do! I love watching you create, inspire, grow, learn, and continually seek Him whether your situation is good or not. You inspire me, dear friend.

      Delete